[altusmetrum] NMEA input to a TeleMini?

Bryan Duke bryan at thedukes.org
Sun Sep 3 22:19:56 MDT 2017

Heh - I definitely had tracking on that rocket. I WILL NEVER SHARE MY SECRETS!! (Here they are…) I used a small Ublox (clone?) GPS and a tBeacon to get me the coordinates. The tBeacon worked, but it’s pretty clunky to use — you have to send a long tone with a ham radio, then listen to the tBeacon read you the coordinates (in voice) while you write them down. It was the smallest thing I could find that would fit in the space I had. The entire avbay fit inside of a 2.5” long 29mm coupler tube (with an ID of about 25mm). There were zero spared cubic millimeters!

That flight left 2000+ feet on the table thanks to the fly away rail guide not actually flying away when it should have. I’m going to try again with a tower as soon as I can.

This TeleMini project will be to attack the F & G motor TRA records. They’ll be different main body tubes & fins, but the same nosecone, avionics & recovery gear. At the elevations I launch from here around Vegas, the F record of 6786’ will be pretty tough to beat, but the G record of 8796’ should be pretty doable. You never know until you fly though. Without lat/longs, a really short 24mm rocket is tough to find before the battery runs out. They sure would be great to have.

Cheers!
-Bryan