[altusmetrum] DIY TeleMega

Douglas Bertelsen douglas.bertelsen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 20:36:59 MDT 2016

I've made several AltusMetrum boards of various flavors (~20 in total).
Under my binocular dissecting (7-40x) microscope is where most work occurs.
Parts need to be close, but don't have to be perfect. Heating on a
laboratory hot plate after a final double-check of part alignment. The saw
filter is definitely the tricky bit; buy extra if you haven't ordered yet.
They are nearly impossible to desolder and salvage. Make sure you have the
hardware / toolchain to flash the boards as well.

I can populate three TeleMega boards in about 4-5 hours; and it is not a
short 4-5 hours. Well worth the experience.

Other random hints:
===============
Buy good ESD-free tweezers (very fine tip)
Don't be afraid to redo the past if it doesn't look beautiful (alignment
and amount)
Triple-check to make sure you have all parts; it is a pain to add one or
two later
Have a good system for identifying and locating parts on the board
Solder paste will dry out as you go; be quick about your work
Make sure your parts have good contact with the paste to avoid "tombstoning"
Have fun!

Doug