[altusmetrum] Antennas for rocket tracking

John Sahr jdsahr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 19:42:16 MDT 2016

regarding the fluctuation of the signal strength, it can be understood, I
think, given the innards of the rocket and the propagation path.

(*) launch-apogee-main deploy (seconds < 950 on time axis).
      Without knowing much about the rocket flight dynamics, it's
reasonable to suppose that the rocket was spinning pretty rapidly (based
upon rockets that I've seen).  Given the fact that there is also
dual-deploy electronics near the radio, one should not be surprised if the
antenna pattern of the TM transmitter is much more complicated than
quasi-omni-directional.  I know that in the rockets that I'm building with
dual deploy, there are a lot of wires, including excess wire length to
accommodate assembly of the electronics bays.

(*) descent under main (seconds > 950 on time axis).
     Here, notice that the variability of the signal strength is much
larger.  This can be attributed to the fact that the rocket is now
approaching the horizon.  This means that the ground station antenna is now
seeing significant direct-path and ground reflection, producing both
constructive and destructive propagation (phenomenon known as "Lloyd's
Mirror", well known in radar and communications).  In particular notice
that the signal when the rocket is on the ground is relatively weak, which
is what would be expected from Lloyd's Mirror and random orientation of the
rocket.

jds