[altusmetrum] Telemetrum First Flight

Craig Klimczak compuvet at aol.com
Thu Sep 5 22:16:29 MDT 2013

I too have lost the signal from a rocket once it has landed even when the rocket was in plain sight. I had no idea what was going on and thought that the battery or something had become disconnected.  As I drove out of the parking lot to retrieve the rocket, I immediately began picking up the transmitter.  After thinking about the rocket position, I believe that the problem was antenna orientation.  From my viewing position the rocket was pointing away from me such that the antenna was perpendicular to plane of my antenna.  By driving out of the parking lot, the orientation (plane) of the antenna changed and was now parallel to my yagi.   Not surprising, I now had a full quieting signal.

Antennas don't propagate signals end-fire very well.  Sometimes it pays to change your listening position when looking for a rocket after landing. For the most part antennas are not isotropic radiators.

Great seeing everyone at A.I.R. Fest.

Craig
DE K4LSU