[altusmetrum] Telemetrum First Flight

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 3 17:55:46 MDT 2013

Tim Navickas <tnavickas at kc.rr.com> writes:

> I finally had my first flight with my telemetrum at Airfest this
> weekend.  It was great tracking on my computer.

Yay! Airfest was great fun again this year!

> The only weird thing
> was after the computer said it landed safely it quit transmitting.

Once the rocket hits the dirt, the radio range is really
short. Not to worry, you'll usually find it within a few feet of the
last reported position.

> Is that normal?  When I retrieved the rocket the unit still has power
> applied.

Yes, range in the air is many (many) miles. Range with the rocket lying
on the ground is often less than a mile.

I flew a rocket on Monday afternoon and landed about 300 feet from Eden
road. I was receiving very strong signal (around -80dBm) until just
before landing. However, when we drove around the field, I couldn't get
any packets from the rocket from the road, both because the rocket was
lying on the ground and because there was a small hill between.

I did have a hand held receiver with me and could (barely) hear the
direction finding tones.

-keith