[altusmetrum] wires

w9ya w9ya at qrparci.net
Wed Mar 27 21:46:24 MDT 2013

Bdale is right that the terminal blocks used on the altus metrum
flight units work just fine and make a good to great connection on
bare stranded wires of the correct gauge IF the strands are twisted
together.

On the other hand timing the wires CORRECTLY works just as well as
long as you are using solder that will compress. AND one nice benefit
is keeping the wire nicely together !!

On the other hand, the soldered wire tolerates less flexing then
without the solder, so keeping the wire stationary is more important
when it is tinned by the end user. (i.e. After being bundled and
sleeved with insulation during manufacturing. If the wires are tinned
during manufacturing of the insulated wire is a different scenario.)

Sorry for the ramble...but I wanted to complete my previous answers.

*** By the way, don't tell anyone, but I sometimes tin the stranded
wires after twisting them together and sometimes I do not.... !!!

**** Oh yeah, please don't tell anyone, but I obviously have no
experience with such things. I'm quite obviously talking offa the top
of my head ..... !!!

- Bob Finch