[altusmetrum] wires

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Wed Mar 27 12:00:23 MDT 2013

Clay & Carly Dunsworth <ccdunsworth at gmail.com> writes:

> Most of the time where
> space isnt critical ive used machine tool wire, but doesnt work with the
> "smallness" of the Altus Metrum products.(16ga).

The screw terminal blocks we use can theoretically be used with up to
18ga stranded wire, but the useful range is about 20-26ga.  For the
hardware kits we build for Apogee I chose 22ga stranded, for three
reasons.  It's it's a good fit for our terminal blocks, it's mid-range
for the 3M crimp connectors I like to use to make bulkheads detachable,
and larger gauge is easier for the inexperienced to work with
(stripping, twisting, etc).

> I bought some smaller 26ga stranded...

The power switch leads on TeleMini boards is 26ga stranded.  It's the
finest wire I'd suggest using, largely because even if you're only
running low current, smaller gauge means higher resistance thus less
power hitting the intended place (ultimately, a bridge wire in the
e-match).

> I have never tinned the ends of my wires, but the belkin cable i cut up the
> other day suprised me that the wires were stranded copper, and seemed
> suitable for this.

Tinning stranded wires that go into screw terminal blocks actually
reduces the probability of maintaining a solid connection in my
experience.  Twist the strands, stick 'em in, and crank down on 'em.
They'll naturally smoosh into the minimum cross sectional area and
maximum contact surface that way.

If you're talking about tinning the ends of bare copper solid wires,
then that might make sense to reduce oxidation .. but if you crank down
the screw terminal enough to get a gas-tight seal that just won't
matter.

Bdale