[altusmetrum] wires

Clay & Carly Dunsworth ccdunsworth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 07:58:39 MDT 2013

I have always steered away from the solid core.  Most of the time where
space isnt critical ive used machine tool wire, but doesnt work with the
"smallness" of the Altus Metrum products.(16ga).  I bought some smaller
26ga stranded, becuase another altimeter i have, the MFG suggest 26ga
stranded as the "smallest" wire that would be safe.  this was after I
discovered blue color on the copper of the ematch leads. (now i suspect
chemical reaction of the bare copper, oily fingers, and BP residue.) Oddly
its almost too big for the TM i have.

I have never tinned the ends of my wires, but the belkin cable i cut up the
other day suprised me that the wires were stranded copper, and seemed
suitable for this. I always envisioned they were like old telephone cable
with that fiberstuff, that would be unsuitable.  Maybe with this small of a
gage i should solder tin the ends for added reliablity?
I have litterally hundreds of feet of the stuff, and would be a "freebe"
for the rest of my av-building life.

Clay
I guess thats why we test!