[altusmetrum] TeleMetrum GPS questions

Michael Stephens engrstephens at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 11:04:45 MDT 2012

Hi all!

I'm starting to locate components for a possible rocket balloon space shot
in the next 5 years or so. I had a few questions.

Does the telemetrum suffer from any GPS lockouts that would make it fail to
record my maximum height? Generally ITAR locks you out with a max velocity
or max altitude, obviously rockets would prevent this. All I really want is
altitude.

Is it possible to get additional uplink commands or pyro channels. I really
need to air start this guy off the balloon as well as provide a nichrome
wire cut down. I would also like to power up a redundant altimeter or
timer.  I'm willing to put this on a separate board but having to route yet
another wireless tranciever would really stink.

A little about me (in case you are wondering).

I'm currently a software engineer at an aerospace company. I have
participated in a student sounding rocket payload program. I L1 certified
when I was 15 (under my dad) (that was my last flight). I have a BS in
computer engineering and an MS in electrical engineering. I am a US
citizen. I'm planning to start down a long journey of several test flights
(L1, L2 etc) and balloon launches before I try for the ultimate space shot.

My goal is to fly a small (small as possible) and low powered rocket right
up to the space cut off (50-60 miles).

The telemetrum has a lot of great features that will severely lighten my
avionics package.

Michael Stephens
engrstephens at gmail.com